Bachelor of Theology
Bachelor of Theology
- Australian Lutheran College
- Catherine Booth College
- Catholic Theological College
- Pilgrim Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Trinity College Theological School
- Whitley College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 7 – Bachelor Degree
- Some units online
- On campus
The standard full-time duration of the Bachelor of Theology is three years. The Bachelor of Theology must be completed in not less than three years and not more than nine years from the date on which the course is commenced.
Cost of study
The BTheol requires completion of 24 standard undergraduate units. Fees for 2018 are $1,548 per unit or $12,384 for a full-time year (8 units).
What is this course about
The Bachelor of Theology critically examines life and faith through the study of scriptures, theological traditions and historical contexts. It aims to broaden self-understanding and facilitate cultural engagement. The Bachelor of Theology assists students to develop knowledge across broad areas of theology and depth in particular areas of interest. It develops research and communication skills, and prepares graduates for further theological study.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Bachelor of Theology
- have a broad, coherent and critical knowledge of Christian theological traditions and methodologies, with focused knowledge in at least one area.
- can articulate the knowledge they have acquired to generate insights and communicate them through clear reasoned argument.
- are able to engage theological traditions and contemporary culture.
- have a theologically informed basis for engagement and service in community and world.
Follow on study
Graduates have access to a range of postgraduate courses at Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters levels.
Admissions for first semester 2017 close on Friday 17 February 2017.
Admissions for second semester 2017 close on Friday 21 July 2017.
Successful completion of Year 12 in an Australian secondary school, or equivalent.
How to apply
The Bachelor of Theology consists of 360 points comprised of:
a) 60 points in a discipline or disciplines in Field B (Biblical Studies) which must include at least 15 points in each Testament;
b) 30 points in the discipline of Church History;
c) 60 points in the discipline of Systematic Theology;
d) 30 points in a discipline or disciplines in Field D (Theology: Mission and Ministry); and
e) A further 180 points.
Each course of study for the Bachelor of Theology:
f) must not include more than 180 points at level 1; and
g) must include at least 90 points at level 3 including 30 points at level 3 in either a discipline or disciplines in Field B (Biblical Studies) or in the discipline of Systematic Theology.
Black Bachelor gown