Master of Arts (Theology)
Master of Arts (Theology)
- Australian Lutheran College
- Catholic Theological College
- Pilgrim Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Trinity College Theological School
- Whitley College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 9 – Masters Degree
- Online only
- Some units online
- On campus
Two years full-time or up to six years part-time.
Cost of study
The MA(Theol) requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2017 are $2286 per unit or $13716 for a full-time year (6 units).
What is this course about
The Master of Arts (Theology) is an advanced postgraduate award for students with a tertiary award in another area. It enables students to lay sound foundations in selected theological disciplines within Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Church History, Mission and Ministry, and to deepen their engagement and skills in selected areas of theological study.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Arts (Theology) are able to demonstrate:
- a critical awareness of issues pertaining to the study of theology as an academic discipline;
- advanced skills in exegesis, historical and theological methodologies;
- creativity and initiative in integrating knowledge and skills in the various disciplines of theology, and apply them to new situations in professional ministry and/or further learning;
- the ability to communicate key ideas and apply problem-solving techniques at an advanced level in the disciplines and professional areas of the studies undertaken;
- the development of skills relevant to tertiary study in the humanities; to read, think, and critically interpret; to write coherently, with the ability to develop an argument drawing on a range of appropriate resources; to work cooperatively as part of a group; and to present information orally;
- skilled use of electronic databases, journals and other scholarly literature;
- the ability to plan and execute a substantial research essay, theological synthesis, or supervised ministry project.
Follow on study
Graduates who have completed a 12,000 word Research Essay to a specified standard may be eligible for admission to higher degrees by research.
Admissions for first semester 2016 close on Friday 12 February 2016.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree.
How to apply
The Master of Arts (Theology) consists of 180 points comprised of:
a) 45 points of Foundational units in three disciplines from at least two Fields
b) 75 points of Elective units
c) Either one Capstone unit of at least 15 points or a 12,000 word Research Essay
d) Further Foundational or Elective units to make a total of 180 points.
Black Masters gown