Master of Church History
Master of Church History
- Catholic Theological College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 9 – Masters Degree
- On campus
Two years full-time or up to six years part-time.
Cost of study
The Master of Church History requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2018 are $2,400 per unit or $14,400 for a full-time year (6 units).Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What is this course about
The Master of Church History enables students to apply an advanced body of knowledge in church history in relation to broader theological studies. Students broaden their knowledge and skills and deepen their engagement with select areas of study to prepare them for professional practice and further learning.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Church History:
- have advanced knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required in church history, and of the relation of church history to broader theological studies
- have mastery of research principles and methods, including analytical skills applicable to church history
- have advanced skills of interpretation and critical reflection on a range of church history texts and authors, with awareness of implications for and applications to contemporary issues and contexts, in order to generate and evaluate ideas for professional practice and further learning
- articulate and communicate knowledge and insights in church history to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- apply relevant theological, historical and hermeneutical skills through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience, or piece of scholarship.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2018 close on Friday 16 February 2018.
Admissions for second semester 2018 close on Friday 20 July 2018.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Master of Church History consists of 180 points comprised of:
- 45 points of Foundational units in three disciplines from at least two fields, where one of the disciplines is Church History
- 60 points of Elective units in the discipline of Church History
- 15 points of Elective units in any discipline
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 15 points in the discipline of Church History or in synthesis with it, or a Research Essay
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units
provided that at least 120 points are taken in the discipline of Church History.
Black Masters gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 69 Master of Church History, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.