Master of Theology (Coursework)
Master of Theology (Coursework)
- Australian Lutheran College
- Catherine Booth College
- Catholic Theological College
- Pilgrim Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Whitley College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 9 – Masters Degree
- Some units online
- On campus
The standard full-time duration of the Master of Theology (Coursework) is two years. The Master of Theology (Coursework) must be completed in not less than three semesters and not more than five years.
Cost of study
The Master of Theology (Coursework) requires completion of 10 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2018 are $2,400 per unit or $14,400 for a full-time year (6 units).Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What is this course about
The Master of Theology (Coursework) enables students with an undergraduate degree in theology or ministry to apply an advanced body of knowledge in theology and its associated disciplines. Students deepen their engagement with select areas of study to prepare them for professional practice and further learning.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Theology (Coursework):
- have advanced knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required in theology and its related disciplines
- have mastery of research principles and methods, including analytical and communication skills applicable to theology and its related disciplines
- have advanced skills of interpretation and critical reflection on a range of theological and related disciplines, with awareness of implications and applications to historical and contemporary issues and contexts, in order to generate and evaluate ideas for professional practice and further learning
- articulate and communicate knowledge and insights in theology and its related disciplines to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- apply relevant theological and hermeneutical skills through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience, theological synthesis or supervised ministry project.
Follow on study
Graduates who have completed a Research Essay to a specified standard may be eligible for admission to higher degrees by research.
Admissions for first semester 2018 close on Friday 16 February 2018.
Admissions for second semester 2018 close on Friday 20 July 2018.
Successful completion of the Bachelor of Theology or the Bachelor of Ministry or the Master of Divinity, or an equivalent theological qualification (a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma does not satisfy the admission requirements for this award).
How to apply
The Master of Theology (Coursework) consists of 150 points comprised of:
a) Up to 30 points of Foundational units in any discipline
b) A Capstone unit worth at least 15 points or a Research Essay
c) Further Elective, Praxis or Capstone units to make up a total of 150 points.
Black Masters gown
Dark Pink with a white border
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 19 Master of Theology (Coursework), or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.